Sturt River Linear Park
The Sturt River Linear Park is a shared use trail that meanders along the Sturt River, past historic buildings, significant fauna and environmental sites, as well as important local features.
The section of shared path between Oaklands Road to Finniss Street has been now been upgraded, including the pedestrian bridge connecting Bombay street to Oaklands Wetlands.
Next stages due for upgrade are north of Oaklands Road toward Morphett Road. Council will endeavour to upgrade all sections of the Sturt River Linear Park Shared Path as funds permit.
Distance - Approximately five kilometres - South Road (Warriparinga) to Anzac Highway.
Walk Time - Approximately two hours. The route is designed so that it can be enjoyed either in sections or in its entirety.
Accessibility - Pedestrian, cycle, prams and wheelchairs.
Facilities - Toilets at Oaklands Estate Reserve and Warriparinga. The Living Kaurna Cultural Centre, Warriparinga.
Conduct on the trail
- Horses are not permitted onto the trail within the City of Marion.
- Share the trail and respect the rights of others.
- Cyclists please remember to give way to pedestrians.
- Keep to the right.
- Always remember to place your litter in bins provided or take with you.
- Stay on the trail to minimise impact on plants and animals.
- Refrain from removing plants and native wild flowers (Don't pick the flowers).
Sturt River Linear park map
The map below and associated location descriptions below provide a summary of the significant sites and features that can be found along the way.
WILLOUGHBY AVENUE RESERVE
The huge Moreton Bay fig tree is considered to be the largest tree of an introduced species in the Marion area. Marion Council acquired portions of adjacent properties to avoid the need to lop the spreading branches
APPLEBY ROAD RESERVE
Follows the original curve of the river and provides a restful shady haven.
This property was established in 1841 by Joseph Bell, a carpenter, builder and undertaker, who arranged Col. Light's funeral. The mock Tudor building, now a nursing home, was built after the original house was destroyed by fire in 1927.
EVEREST AVENUE RESERVE
The many native trees encourage rich bird life, especially the colourful and noisy Rainbow Lorikeets.
MARION LEISURE AND FITNESS CENTRE
A Council-owned complex offering an extensive range of recreational activities.
- WARRADALE ARMY BARRACKS
OAKLANDS ROAD ESTATE
Part of an extensive pastoral property founded by Samuel Kearne in 1844. The barracks area was formerly the estate farm and was the site of an army camp during both world wars. It was acquired for its present use in 1945. The current reserve contains remnant plantings from the original homestead and also the very significant native River Red Gums. It is still possible to see where the Kaurna people stripped bark from some trees to make coolamons, a basin shaped wooden dish. Some vines remain, a reminder that for over a century the main industry of the area was wine and table grape production.
KENTON AVENUE RESERVE
This park is part of the naturally curving water course. A depression in the ground, shaded by native trees, was probably part of a water hole. Note the river Red Gums here.
Founded in 1961. The chapel and performing arts centre are fine examples of modern architecture. The school vineyard contains some of the original vines planted by the Western family about 1925.
OLIPHANT AVENUE RESERVE
Almond trees are a reminder of the days when the Marion area produced almost 80% of the Australian almond crop and almond blossom tours were a highlight of winter.
FINNISS STREET BRIDGE
The original bridge was designed by Col. Light about 1839 and completed in 1841. The second was opened in 1896, and the present one, part of the SW Suburbs Drainage Scheme, was opened in 1971.
FORMER MARKET GARDENS
In this section of the park look for remnants of the former market gardens almond trees, flower gardens and old cottages.
After crossing Marion Road the park passes by an industrial estate.
MALDON AVENUE RESERVE
Is part of the original watercourse. A flock of sulphur-crested cockatoos can often be seen in this area. The area around the reserve and potentially including the reserve is reported as once being a campsite and also an ancient burial ground of the Kaurna people.
One of the few private special schools for children with disabilities was opened in 1966.
This environmental and community asset was opened in 1998 and covers almost two hectares. It contains walking trails, boardwalks, wetland ponds and native vegetation which provide the opportunity to observe the native wildlife. Warriparinga Wetlands is also home of the Living Kaurna Cultural Centre.