Cooling Towers and Warm Water Systems
High risk manufactured water systems, namely warm water systems and cooling water systems, must be operated and maintained in accordance with the Public and Environmental Health (Legionella) Regulations 2008, Australian and New Zealand Standards (AS/NZ 3666) and Guidelines for the Control of Legionella.
What are you looking for?
A cooling water system is defined as a heat exchange system that consists of a heat generating plant, a heat rejection plant, interconnecting water recirculating pipe work and associated pumps, valves and controls, and includes a cooling tower or evaporative condenser.
A warm water system is defined as a reticulated water system that distributes or recirculates warm water through the majority of its branches at a nominal temperature of 45°C by means of a temperature controlling device.
A summary of the laws applying to the operation of High Risk Manufactured Water Systems is provided below:
- All new High Risk Manufactured Water Systems must be registered with council within one month of commissioning.
- Positive Legionella counts must be reported to council within 24 hours.
- All existing high risk manufactured water systems must be registered with council.
- Automatic biocide dosing devices must be fitted to each cooling water system.
- Drift eliminators must be fitted to each cooling water system.
- Plans, manuals and up-to-date log books for each system must be kept on the premises in an accessible location.
- Cooling towers must be maintained in accordance with either Section 2.5 of AS/NZS 3666.2 or Section 3 of AS/NZS 3666.3 or a program approved by the Minister.
Please click on the links below to download the applicable forms and Legislation for High Risk Manufactured Water Systems:
- Cooling Water System Registration Form(108 kb)
- Warm Water System Registration Form(106 kb)
- Positive Legionella Test Result Form(90 kb)
- Public and Environmental Health (Legionella) Regulations 2008 - South Australian Legislation website
- Guidelines for the Control of Legionella website
- Australian and New Zealand Standards - SAI Global website (please note that fees apply to download AS/NZ 3666)
For further information regarding high risk manufactured water systems, please contact:
City of Marion
Environmental Health Team
Phone: (08) 8375 6600
Fax: (08) 8375 6699
In person: 245 Sturt Road, Sturt SA 5047
Post: PO Box 21, Oaklands Park SA 5046