Read the latest news about the Darlington road upgrade.
This article appears in City Limits magazine - Issue 54 - March 2017.
The Darlington Upgrade Project is another stage in the development of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor and will deliver an upgrade of about 3.3kms of the existing Main South Road, including:
- A non-stop motorway between the Southern Expressway and Tonsley Boulevard
- A lowered, non-stop motorway underneath Flinders Drive, Sturt Road, Sutton Road/Mimosa Terrace and Tonsley Boulevard
- Grade separation of the Main South Road/Ayliffes Road/Shepherds Hill Road intersection
- Main South Road (at grade) surface roads along both sides of the lowered motorway to provide connections to Flinders Drive, Sturt Road and most local roads
- Full free flow interchange at the Southern Expressway/Main South Road with dedicated ramps providing direct access to the new motorway and Main South Road
A key priority is keeping traffic flowing during peak times and maintaining access to critical facilities such as Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University and Flinders Private Hospital.
The construction program will be staged, with new surface roads and bridges constructed first so traffic can be shifted onto these newroads while the lowered motorway is being constructed. This will ensure the current number of lanes available in peak periods are retained while providing a safe environment for road users and construction workers.
- Drainage works
- Utility services works
Drop in to the site office: Level 2A, Sir Mark Oliphant Building 5 Laffer Drive, Bedford Park.
City Limits Magazine
The City Limits Magazine is a community publication that keeps Marion residents in touch with what is happening in their community. It includes information about major projects, council initiatives and events, as well as profiles of community members.
It is published three times a year and distributed to 40,000 residents and businesses in the Marion Council area.