$13.4 million Cove Civic Centre update
Read the latest construction update on Cove Civic Centre in Hallett Cove.
This article appears in City Limits magazine - Issue 46 - October 2014.
The 120 tonne steel framework of the new Cove Civic Centre has been completed and work is well advanced on the exterior walls less than a year since construction of the new library, community and enterprise facility began.
The roof has also been installed and the $13.4 million building’s windows, which will feature special glazing to reduce heat, will soon be fitted.
The neighbouring Ragamuffin Drive is also being transformed into a road that will be shared by pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles between Ramrod Avenue and Oliver Terrace.
The road will feature new street trees, landscaping, cobblestone rumble strips, space for on-street parking and biofiltration beds to clean stormwater.
Manager strategic projects John Valentine said the site was unrecogniseable from when building work began.
“It’s very rewarding to see a modern, well-designed facility that will serve the community and local businesses for many years taking shape,” Mr Valentine said.
“The new car parks at the adjacent Baptist and Lutheran churches have been completed and will be open to visitors to the centre when it opens early next year.”
Construction fast facts
Cove Civic Centre is being built using:
- 120 tonnes of structural steelwork
- 1200 cubic metres of concrete
- 2900 sq m of cladding to roof and external walls
- 4500 sq m of glazing to external walls
Cove Civic Centre will open in 2015 and feature:
- Access to 35,000 books, e-books, magazines, CDs and DVDs
- A community hall for up to 280 people and meeting rooms
- A computer training suite with wi-fi and broadbandMeeting facilities and resources for local businessesA children’s toy libraryA plaza that incorporates public art
The City of Marion has contributed $10 million towards the construction of Cove Civic Centre and $3.4 million has been provided by the Federal Government.
- Visit Cove Civic Centre for more information.
- See photos of the Cove Civic Centre's progress on the City of Marion Facebook page.
City Limits Magazine
The City Limits Magazine is a community publication that keeps Marion residents in touch with what is happening in their community. It includes information about major projects, council initiatives and events, as well as profiles of community members.
It is published three times a year and distributed to 40,000 residents and businesses in the Marion Council area.