Mitchell Park Sports and Community Centre
Building a better Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club
Marion Council has committed $10 million towards this redevelopment with the Federal Government contributing a further $5 million as part of their pre-election pledge to rebuild the facility.
A larger sports club would contain:
- An indoor stadium for basketball, netball, volleyball and other recreation.
- Facilities for football, tennis and cricket
- A gym, change rooms, kiosk, expanded car parking
- A neighbourhood centre delivering a range of community programs.
There will also be facilities for the dog club.
An expanded centre would create jobs and local business opportunities while providing a home for up to 1000 players of various sporting codes.
More than 200 people attended a public rally at the club in April as part of Council’s campaign to build a bigger and better facility.
At the City of Marion, we believe that our community should have access to a broad range of high quality sport and community facilities so that everyone has the opportunity to lead an active, healthy lifestyle.
In April 2015, Council endorsed investigations be undertaken with peak sporting bodies, relevant clubs, funding bodies and agencies to seek partnering opportunities for the development of plans and potential funding solutions for the following sports infrastructure:
- Options for soccer pitches and a BMX track in the south.
- Indoor multi-purpose stadium.
- Edwardstown Oval Upgrade.
- Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club upgrade.
- On 8 December 2015, Council endorsed the Mitchell Park and Community Club site as the preferred location for the development of multi-purpose indoor sports facility and the integrated development of facilities for existing sporting clubs and dog club and the development of a community centre to replace the Mitchell Park Neighbourhood Centre.
- The concept design for Mitchell Park Sports Community Centre is complete.
- At the General Council meeting on 28 June 2016 Council endorsed a four indoor multi-purpose courts and new community centre concept design and a funding commitment of up to $9.875 million.
- On 12 February 2019, Council re-committed up to $10 million towards re-developing Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club. The size of the redevelopment will depend on government funding.
Mitchell Park Sports and Community Centre artist's impression
City of Marion Contact: