The Oaklands Station was officially opened Sunday 28th July 2019.
The Oaklands rail crossing is located 12.8km south of Adelaide on the Seaford train line at the intersection of Morphett Road and Diagonal Roads.
• On average almost 42,000 vehicles each day use Morphett Road each day south of the Oaklands Crossing
• North of the crossing an average of 33,200 vehicles use Diagonal Road and 8,700 use Morphett Road
• Traffic congestion had been a problem here for 40 years
Council launched a campaign to fix Oaklands Crossing in 2016. The Let’s Get Oaklands Crossing Moving campaign included a community survey, billboard at the crossing, adverts, a video, digital media, and a rally
The $174 million project jointly funded by the Australian Government - $95 million, the State Government - $74 million and the City of Marion - $5 million was announced 2017.
Design and construction began early 2018 and was managed by Public Transport Projects Alliance (PTPA).
The project has delivered the following;
• access improvements to local services, facilities and businesses
• helping traffic flow, removing the crossing and installing the greenway in Morphett Rd underpass has made it safer for pedestrians and cyclists
• increase the total number of car parks by 50
• improvements that will act as a catalyst for the area, boosting the local economy
Marion Councils $5 million funding has contributed to;
• Build the plazas, landscaping, pedestrian, and cycling connections.
• It will also go towards building a new playground at Dwyer Road Reserve, paths and streetscapes
• With the support of a Federal Government “Smart Cities and Suburbs” grant we will install additional infrastructure and technology.
The City of Marion thank local residents for supporting the grade separation, their input during community consultation, and understanding during construction.
To complement the Oaklands Crossing Project the City of Marion is working on an exciting project for Oaklands that will significantly improve connectivity to Marion Regional Centre. The project is supported by matched funding of $867,500 Australian Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs Program.
The project will achieve multiple benefits including;
• Enhanced streetscapes
• Better pedestrian and cyclist movement
• Creation of a larger public park at Dwyer Road Reserve with new playground and amenities
• Technologies that enhance the local community and visitor experience of the project.
Council have endorsed a capital works program 2019-2022. The following projects have been identified;
|Scope ||Design and community consultation (financial year)||Construction (financial year)|
|Dwyer Road Reserve||2018-2019||2019-2020|
|Diagonal Way to (Dwyer Rd to Crew St.)||2018-2020||2020-2021|
|Diagonal Road (Crew St. to Trott Grove)||2020-2021||2021-2022|
|Addison Avenue (Southern verge Morphett Rd to Ailsa Ave)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
|Murray Tce (Northern verge Morphett Rd to Barry Ave)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
|Railway Tce (Northern verge Diagonal Rd to First Ave)||2020-2021||2020-2021|
|Crozier Tce (Southern verge Dwyer Rd to Kearnes Rd)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
Community consultation closed May 24th 2019 on Oaklands Community Connection to Marion Regional Centre concept, which includes Dwyer Road Reserve and proposed Diagonal Way Road Closure.
A copy of the concept design can be viewed below
A copy of the consultation finding report can be viewed below
Council recently received the consultation findings June 2019 resolving the following.
Oaklands Community Connections Consultation (proposed Diagonal Way Road Closure and Dwyer Road Reserve)
Report Reference: GC190625R20
Moved Councillor - Nathan Prior Seconded Councillor - Ian Crossland
1. Notes the community consultation feedback received on the concept design for the proposed Diagonal Way road closure and Dwyer Road Reserve.
2. Notes correspondence from the Commissioner of Highways, confirming Diagonal Way is issued Section 26(2) of the Highways Act 1926, currently under care and control of Council and no approval is required to commence the road closure process.
3. Authorises the commencement of the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 process to close the section of Diagonal Way Oaklands Park between the northern boundary of 10 Diagonal Way and the southern boundary of the intersection of Crozier Terrace and Dwyer Road Oaklands Park in accordance with the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 which requires:
- Preparation of a preliminary plan
- Preparation of a statement of affected parties and
- Undertaking of public consultation
4. Resolves that the road closed pursuant to the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 is to be merged with Lot 94 in Filed Plan 147328 (comprised in Certificate of Title Volume 5854 Folio 339) for Dwyer Road Reserve.
5. Notes a further report will be tabled to consider the outcome of the community consultation for the road closure and to seek authorisation to submit the documentation with the Surveyor General to formally close the road.
6. Resolves to temporarily close Diagonal Way (Section 32 Road Traffic Act 1961) for vehicle traffic as illustrated in attachment 5, until Council resolve the permanent proposal pursuant to Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991.
If you have any queries about the project, please speak to the project team from PTP Alliance.
Telephone: 8375 6600