To complement the Oaklands Crossing Project the City of Marion is working on an exciting project for Oaklands that will significantly improve connectivity to Marion Regional Centre. The project is supported by matched funding of $867,500 Australian Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs Program.
The project will achieve multiple benefits including;
• Enhanced streetscapes
• Better pedestrian and cyclist movement
• Creation of a larger public park at Dwyer Road Reserve with new playground and amenities
• Technologies that enhance the local community and visitor experience of the project.
Council have endorsed a capital works program 2019-2022. The following projects have been identified;
Design and community consultation (financial year)
Construction (financial year)
|Dwyer Road Reserve||2018-2019||2019-2020|
|Diagonal Way to (Dwyer Rd to Crew St.)||2018-2020||2020-2021|
|Diagonal Road (Crew St. to Trott Grove)||2020-2021||2021-2022|
|Addison Avenue (Southern verge Morphett Rd to Ailsa Ave)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
|Murray Tce (Northern verge Morphett Rd to Barry Ave)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
|Railway Tce (Northern verge Diagonal Rd to First Ave)||2020-2021||2020-2021|
|Crozier Tce (Southern verge Dwyer Rd to Kearnes Rd)||2021-2022||2021-2022|
Detailed designs for the Dwyer road reserve are underway with works to commence onsite in early 2020 (subject to road closure process)
Council received a report on the 22nd of October 2019 on the proposed permanent closure of Diagonal Way.
Council resolved the following:
Diagonal Way Oaklands Park Road Closure Report
Moved Councillor - Ian Crossland Seconded Councillor - Raelene Telfer
1. Notes that representations received in response to the community consultation required under the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991.
2. After due consideration of the objections lodged by Mr Murphy and Mr Robinson, confirm that the matters raised do not prevent Council from proceeding with the road closure process.
3. Resolves to make a Road Process Order in accordance with the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 to close the portion of Diagonal Way Oaklands Park and merge with allotment 94 in filed Plan 147328 and more particularly delineated and lettered "A" on the Preliminary Plan PP19/0024 subject to the withdrawal of objection by APA.
4. Notifies Mr Murphy, Mr Robinson and APA of Council's decision to proceed with the road closure process.
5. Pursuant to Section 37 (b) of the Local Government Act 1999 authorises the Chief Executive Officer to enter into and sign all documentation necessary to complete the road closure process and the merger of land with allotment 94 in Filed Plan 147328.
For further details view the Making Marion website
Consultation as per the Roads (opening and closing) Act 1991 was conducted on the proposed Diagonal Way road closure.
This consultation closed 25th September 2019
Community consultation closed May 24th 2019 on Oaklands Community Connection to Marion Regional Centre concept, which includes Dwyer Road Reserve and proposed Diagonal Way Road Closure.
A copy of the concept design can be viewed below
A copy of the consultation finding report can be viewed below
Council recently received the consultation findings June 2019 resolving the following.
Oaklands Community Connections Consultation (proposed Diagonal Way Road Closure and Dwyer Road Reserve)
Report Reference: GC190625R20
Moved Councillor - Nathan Prior Seconded Councillor - Ian Crossland
1. Notes the community consultation feedback received on the concept design for the proposed Diagonal Way road closure and Dwyer Road Reserve.
2. Notes correspondence from the Commissioner of Highways, confirming Diagonal Way is issued Section 26(2) of the Highways Act 1926, currently under care and control of Council and no approval is required to commence the road closure process.
3. Authorises the commencement of the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 process to close the section of Diagonal Way Oaklands Park between the northern boundary of 10 Diagonal Way and the southern boundary of the intersection of Crozier Terrace and Dwyer Road Oaklands Park in accordance with the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 which requires:
- Preparation of a preliminary plan
- Preparation of a statement of affected parties and
- Undertaking of public consultation
4. Resolves that the road closed pursuant to the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 is to be merged with Lot 94 in Filed Plan 147328 (comprised in Certificate of Title Volume 5854 Folio 339) for Dwyer Road Reserve.
5. Notes a further report will be tabled to consider the outcome of the community consultation for the road closure and to seek authorisation to submit the documentation with the Surveyor General to formally close the road.
6. Resolves to temporarily close Diagonal Way (Section 32 Road Traffic Act 1961) for vehicle traffic as illustrated in attachment 5, until Council resolve the permanent proposal pursuant to Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991.