Skip to main content
8375 6600 contact

Land divisions

Land division includes:

  • the division, subdivision or re-subdivision of land by Torrens Title, Community Title or Strata Title;
  • the alteration of the boundaries of land; and
  • leasing of a portion of an allotment which is vacant land or which contains a dwelling, and where the term of the lease is greater than 6 years including any right of renewal.

Lodging a development application for land division

If you wish to divide land, an application must be lodged with the Development Assessment Commission (DAC).

Development Assessment Commission (DAC)
Phone: 1800 752 664 (select option 3)
Fax: 8303 0604
Postal: GPO Box 1815, Adelaide SA 5001
In person: 5th Floor, 136 North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000

What information to include

The following information must be submitted with an application for land division:

  • A completed Development Application form with relevant fees.
  • Nine copies of the proposed land division plan drafted in accordance with requirements outlined in the Development Regulations.
  • Two current copies of the Certificate(s) of Title.

Supporting documentation

Some land divisions may also require other supporting documentation. For example, a Community Scheme Description is required for Community Title land divisions involving non-residential use of land and larger residential developments.

As the requirements for land division plans are specific, most applications for land divisions are prepared and submitted by a licensed surveyor on behalf of an applicant.

Development applications to Councils

If the land division proposed relates to houses or units that you intend to build on the land, it is also recommended that you lodge a Development Application for that proposed development with Council prior to, or at least at the same time as, lodging an application for land division with the DAC. An application of this nature relating to the use of land demonstrates that the proposed allotments are of an appropriate size, shape and orientation to cater for their intended use.

Further information

For further information on land division, please see the Land divisions brochure.