Skip to main content
Cove Sports and Community Club
Cove Sports and Community Club - New Management
What is Council doing?
- Marion Council has terminated the Cove Sports and Community Club's licence and will run the facility for at least the next 12 months.
- A Special General Council Meeting on 22 January 2019 resolved to serve the Cove Sports and Community Club committee a notice to immediately terminate their licence.
- Marion Council will manage the site while working towards creating a new independent board with the skills to run the club successfully and drafting a new constitution.
- The only employee at the club, a facility manager, will be offered a contract to work for the City of Marion
Why is Council making the changes?
- Council's decision is the culmination of a number of concerns over the running of the club, the latest being the discovery of a significant breach of their licence conditions this month.
- Council had no choice but to act once we became aware that the club had breached its licence.
- Council decided to manage the facility to protect ratepayers’ money and secure the future of the club.
What impact will it have on the sporting clubs?
- The changes can occur without disrupting the day-to-day activities of the six sporting clubs that use the facility.
- Sporting fixtures, training, venue hire and other activities will continue as normal.
- Council will offer the sporting clubs a 12-month licence at a peppercorn rent.
- We are hopeful that once the changes are implemented we will have a better club to serve its members and the community.
- Council is in constant contact with the clubs to inform them of the changes and how we can support them.
Who owns the site?
- Council owns the site and previously held a licence with the Cove Sports and Community Club committee, which comprises representatives from the sporting clubs.
Which Clubs operate from the site?
- Cove Tigers Netball Club
- Hallett Cove Lightning Netball Club
- Cove Cricket Club
- Cove BMX Club
- Cove Football Club (AFL)
- Cove FC (soccer)