Skip to main content
08 8375 6600 request support contact
log in

Council Elections FAQs

Does everyone get to vote in City of Marion’s periodic council election?

To be eligible to vote in the council election, you must be registered on the council voters roll.

It's not just residents who can enrol for Local Government Elections. The broad categories for enrolment are:

  • Residents/Individuals
  • Resident/Business owner
  • Landlord
  • Body corporate
  • Group (joint owners/occupiers of a facility)
How do I make sure that I'm on Council's Voters Roll?

If you need to check or update your enrolment you can choose one of the following options:

What should I do if I don't receive my ballot paper?

You must contact the Electoral Commission on 1300 655 232 and arrange to complete a re-issue form for ballot papers. This re-issue will be forwarded to the address that you nominate on your re-issue form.

I own/have an interest in multiple properties within the City of Marion, what will I receive?

You will receive voting packs for each property located in a different City of Marion ward area.

How many times may I vote if I have more than one voting entitlement?

You may only vote once per voting entitlement.

I’ve seen a sign/pamphlet/social media post about a candidate that doesn’t say who authorised it, what can I do?

Under the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999, all electoral material has to include a statement about who authorised and/or printed it. This legislation applies to everyone, not just candidates. If you see anything that you think is intended to influence the result of the election, that doesn’t include the authorisation, you can contact the Electoral Commission of South Australia. You will need to let them know, in writing:

  • exactly where the sign is, and provide a photograph if possible; or
  • include a copy of printed material; or
  • provide the date, time and details of the social media account on which it was posted.
What are the changes regarding corflute signage and where can I get more information?

On the 10 November 2021 section 115 of the Statutes Amendment (Local Government Review) Act 2012, came into effect, amending section 226 of the Local Government Act 1999. This relates to moveable signs i.e. corflutes.

As a result of this amendment, ‘electoral advertising posters’ relating to local government elections are now prohibited “on a public road (including any structure, fixture or vegetation on a public road), except in circumstances prescribed in Regulations”. “Electoral advertising poster” includes a poster displaying electoral advertising made of corflute or plastic.

How are candidates elected?

All Local Government elections are conducted using the counting system known as proportional representation. A candidate is elected when a quota or predetermined proportion of the total number of formal ballot papers cast is obtained.

To find out more about the elections and how the voting system works, visit the Electoral Commission SA's Council Election Fast Facts Page.

Authorised by Tony Harrison, PO Box 21, Oaklands Park SA 5046.