If would like to start a new community garden on Council
land, we encourage you contact our Community Gardens Coordinator early on to
find out what is involved and how we can assist you.
We have developed Community Gardens Guidelines which outline
the key steps involved in starting a community garden on Council land. These steps include:
- Form a community gardening group.
- Submit an expression of interest to Council.
- Select a site.
- Council assesses the site and arranges for the soil to be tested for contamination.
- Engage with neighbours and the wider community.
- Plan your garden design and develop a Management Plan.
- Incorporate your community gardening group and organise appropriate insurance.
- Prepare a budget and source funding.
- Council conducts a community consultation process with local
- If your application is approved, negotiate a lease or license agreement with Council.
There is further information about these steps and
how to prepare your community garden application in the Community Garden Guidelines.
City of Marion Community Gardens Coordinator