How we are responding to COVID-19
Find out more
Skip to main content
8375 6600 contact
log in


What is a verge area?

The area of road reserve between the edge of a made roadway or constructed kerb and water table if in place and the boundary of the adjoining certificate or crown title boundary.

The area can include landscaping, made footpath or parking areas, trees, bus stops and a variety of street furniture and signage.

Who owns the verge?

Verges are classified as public land as the Local Government Act provides that a road extends from property boundary to property boundary and includes the carriageway, footpaths and verge.

Verge Gardening

Establishing a verge garden helps to beautify local streets, shows pride in your neighbourhood and builds a strong sense of community. The City of Marion has developed Verge Garden Guidelines to help residents who are interested in establishing a verge garden. The guidelines support Council’s vision of a community that is Liveable, Engaged, Prosperous, Innovative, Connected and Values Nature.

To make sure your verge garden meets the City of Marion Council requirements, residents are encouraged to read the attached Verge Garden and Development Guidelines. The attached Verge Procedure document also provides the necessary steps to take before a Verge Development can be submitted to Council.

Verge Development Application

Once you have read and can meet the requirements outlined in the Verge Development and Garden Guidelines you can fill out the attached Verge Development Application and submit it to the Council. Council will then assess your application and get back to you with a decision within 14 business days.

Weed control service

Council operates a city wide weed control service for verge areas. Spraying is undertaken three to four times a year. A No Spray Register is maintained for residents who choose not to have the verge sprayed and are willing to maintain the area themselves.

Council will treat any verges where declared pest plants have been identified. A common pest plant found on verges is Caltrop (3 Cornered Jack) which will be treated on both a programmed and reactive basis and will be undertaken regardless of a specification on the No Spray Register.

If the area is not maintained by the resident, Council reserves the right to remove all vegetation and maintain the area as part of the weed control program.

Street trees

Street trees planted by Council will be pruned to ensure they don't impede street lights and signs and as required by its maintenance standards according to Street Tree Audit data.

Maintenance of verges

If plants or grass are present on a verge, it is the resident's responsibility to maintain the area.

If you have concerns about lack of maintenance of a verge and would like Council to assess the situation, please call our customer service centre on 8375 6600 and provide the following information:

  • Exact location of the nature strip/verge
  • Nature of the concern/s
  • Extent of the problem


When any development of a verge is altered or removed by the activity of a service authority, reinstatement will be subject to negotiation between the property owner and that service authority.

Where a Council activity or operation alters or removes a conforming verge development, Council will endeavour to restore the verge to a reasonable standard.

Authorisation to Alter a Public Road (Section 221 Local Government Act 1999)

A road extends from property boundary to property boundary and includes the carriageway, footpaths and verges.

Under Section 221 of the Local Government Act 1999, it is an offence to alter a road without prior Authorisation from Council. This includes:

  • the construction or arrangement of the road to facilitate access to and from a property
  • erecting or installing a structure (including pipes, wires, cables, fixtures, fittings or other objects) in, on, across, under or over the road
  • changing or interfering with the construction, arrangement or materials of the road
  • changing, interfering with or remove a structure (including pipes, wires, cables, fixtures, fittings or other objects) associated with the road
  • planting, interfering or removing a tree or vegetation from the road

Council will consider applications to alter a road, however, in some instances the proposed use of the council land may not be deemed appropriate and therefore may not be approved.

Please contact our Customer Service Centre to determine whether a permit is required for your activity.